Mia

She smiles, she smiles a lot;
She'd started smiling even before she'd learned to focus.
We used to wonder at her
Smiling away in her sleep, lost in dreams
Which only she - an infant a few days old - could have.
Mum said she was smiling as she played games
With her buddies in her dreams
I was convinced it was the Angels
Whispering to her as she lay asleep.
Whatever the reason, she had us all
Curled around her little fingers
As she grasped our own
When we held her hand.
As I put ink to paper
She's turned a little short of seven months.
She sat on her own for the very first time
Just a few days ago;
I watched mesmerized
As she nonchalantly played with her toy
Albeit a little wobbly
And completely unaware
Of the tiny step she'd taken
In her journey towards growing up.

I'd been meaning to write about her,
Put down all the mystique of motherhood
Since a long time, even before she was born
When she was a little pleasant feeling
Growing in my tummy.

As she grew and started moving about
Within her watery world,
There opened up
A whole new world of feelings and sensations for me;
Yet I somehow felt at a loss
As to where to begin writing about her.
There was so much going on, all simultaneously
Inside my body, my mind and all around me
Such a difference in the way I saw things
In the way I felt towards things
And in the way the external world perceived me
People changed somehow
Especially in the company of an expectant mother!
And every single feeling, every single sensation
Was completely new, and raw, for me.
My daughter was already opening up
An entire galaxy of new experiences for me!

As a first-time mother,
My journey had begun on a shaky note
The initial worrisome period had scared me
And the first trimester was the most difficult
The second was easier to deal with
And the last was my happiest
Although physically I felt rather exhausted at times
Mentally, it was perhaps the most satisfying
As I felt my baby moving about within
And held my breath as she somersaulted and kicked and nudged.
I checked the calendar incessantly
Checking and rechecking the dates
And as the day approached for my angel to be born
I grew all apprehensive.
Would everything be alright?
Would it be as tough for her
As painful it was supposed to be for the mother?
My fears, however, were thankfully short-lived;
My angel was born without too much fuss
I did not have to bear much
For her too it was easier to be taken out by the surgeon.
But the pain did come for me later - the post-operative one
Sleep eluded me long into the night
And I counted out the hours one-by-one till dawn.
Morning found me waiting feverishly for my dose of painkillers;
And it was painful too not having my little bundle of joy beside me
But having to watch her from afar.

Earlier, when she was shown to me soon after birth,
I had only caught a glimpse of her as I lay on the operation table
And as she looked all around her with eyes fully open
Taking in all the new sensations and smells that greeted her.
I was impatient to hold her
To feel her tiny body in my arms as she nestled close to me.
And when finally I did get to hold her
It was pure unadulterated joy
A feeling unlike any other
One so mystical that it's difficult to describe
I only knew that I felt blessed to have her
And to be chosen by the Almighty
To be her mother.
Today, each passing moment
Gives birth to a new joy.
Every blessed moment that she is in my life
Is a moment of sheer joy
If at all there is any gloom
It's brought on by the regret that she deserves better
That I need to try harder to be a better mother
And take better care of my Mia and her needs,
That I need to be a more gracious and humbler recipient
Of the joy that the Lord in His Infinite Wisdom
Has bestowed upon me.

She's the angel in my life
The silver lining in my world
Where dark clouds sometimes gather
But she dispels the gloom with her angelic smile
And blesses all she sees
Bestowing riches upon everyone she meets - even strangers
And they in turn smile back in admiration at her beautiful fairy smile.
Her little baby fingers still grasp mine
When she wants to tell me that it's alright,
Her eyes full of wisdom, beyond her age
She gives me comfort
When I feel a wee bit overwhelmed at times
Bogged down by irrational fears and complexes.
Drawing her tiny arms about me
She gives a toothless dazzling smile
And I wait all the while for her first tooth to appear!

Mia, my love!
She's the world to me now
And I wonder how quickly time has flown
How quickly my baby is growing up...
My world is in a flux;
Full of wondrous twists and turns
Interspersed with moments of sheer bliss,
Each one to be savored and put away
To be cherished at a later time and date,
Until then, I'm busy being a collector
A collector of moments and of memories
And gather as much of them as I possibly can.
And a small smile starts to appear
At the corners of my mouth
As I think about the fun in store
All thanks to my little darling, my little sunshine, my daughter Mia.

Comments

  1. The words
    are so true..and so true.. I too have some to tell abt her..the changes she has brought in me..One day I need to sit and start to jot, and I know it may not stop for long time...till then ..i will enjoy the world thru you..her mother..

    ReplyDelete
  2. so truly said shabali... loved reading it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Monsoon Rain and the Five Senses

Monu's World: Raka's Kite

Monu's World

Mayflower Memories

A Question of Identity

Circles of Prime Numbers

The Fog

Total Pageviews