The Hailstorm





The month of February always brings back memories of hailstorms in Delhi...the wind and rain followed soon by the hail pelting down...sounding like stones on the rooftops...and me sneaking into my balcony (mom was always scolding to come away from the door, for there would inevitably be lightning)...trying to slip a few of the fast-melting icicles into my palms and into my mouth...

My earliest memory is of the day after my sister's second birthday when we were shifting house. The day had begun busy and was threatening to end even busier. I was ten and was greatly depressed at having to leave all my friends behind. In between helping out, I'd sigh wistfully at the house we were leaving...some of my happiest memories were inside and around it. The most carefree period of my life - my childhood - had been spent there ad I was going to miss it very badly.

As I stood moping about, procrastinating getting onto the bus that was going to take me to my new home...I looked up and noticed the sky turning gray. Small bursts of thunder were beginning to sound...and the smell of rain was thick in the air. The intoxicating earthy smell lifted my spirits somewhat and with another effort I got onto the bus. It was a short drive and when we arrived, the first tiny drops were starting to fall. Luckily, there was help at hand to get most of the stuff inside and they made short work of it. As the last of our belongings was being moved, the rain intensified as large drops started to fall and all of us ducked for cover. A flash of lightning burst through the clouds and loud thunder rolled accompanied by its friend, the wind. Mother called out to me telling me to step away from the door. My stubborn streak instead made me look up into the sky. I saw that it was no longer water but ice that was falling from above! My heart leaped and I stretched out my hands wanting to feel the icy pellets as they came falling hard and fast.

I don't remember how long I stood there nor how many times I was yanked inside and always managed to get another peep at the falling magical white stones as I painted them in my imagination. All I remember is that the rain and hail and thunder and lightning somehow lifted the veil of unhappiness that had descended over my heart and the chill of the icicles left me rubbing my palms in excitement...Of course, the only things to get wet and hit by the hail had been a few miserable potted plants who had had their share of watering earlier in the day but were resigned to a second unasked for helping provided by the Heavens above!


Comments

  1. So nostalgic. Loved reading it Shabali. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it :) Thanks Anupam!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Monsoon Rain and the Five Senses

Monu's World: Raka's Kite

Mia

Monu's World

Mayflower Memories

A Question of Identity

Circles of Prime Numbers

The Fog

Total Pageviews