When it Rained in the Desert

"ठंडी हवा, काली घटा, आ ही गयी झूम के 
प्यार लिए डोले हँसी, नाचे जिया घूम के..."
                                          - Lyrics from the song by Geeta Dutt in 'Mr. & Mrs. 55'

The morning dawned a bit chilly today. I felt the drop in temperature as soon as I woke up to the morning alarm of half-past six. On schooldays this is the time I get up to make my little one ready for school. Switching the alarm off I looked up to my window and was surprised to see the less-than-normal light outside. For the past few weeks now, we've been used to getting up in the mornings with the window-view showing semi-dark. Winter, as we know of it here in the desert, is upon us and the sun keeps postponing his rendezvous with the sky till later every morning, just as in the other parts of the world in the Northern hemisphere.

Still sleepy and and a bit tired, but with a growing sense of relief and anticipation that I felt every morning on Thursdays knowing that the weekend was close at hand, I went to our living room and towards the balcony door. Opening the glass door to the balcony to inhale the fresh morning air is the first thing I do every morning. As I pushed the sliding door sideways, I was welcomed by a gust of rather strong and cooler-than-usual wind. It's not uncommon here for winds to be blowing just about anytime during day or night. But the slight chill in the wind had me wide awake. It was then that I looked up and saw the overcast skies. Dark, grey clouds hovering high in the sky had completely screened off the sun. Despite the winds not even a single ray of sunlight managed to get through. It reminded me of mornings in Delhi during early October or late February when Winter was either coming on or beating a silent retreat. Having been here for about two years now, I can say from experience that apart from the rather chilly winds that blow during the late evenings and nights during December-January, there's nothing even remotely connected with what is characterized as Winter here. But feeling the cool wind and the dark clouds gathering overhead made me wonder with all my child-like excitement whether the clouds would be gracious enough to give off their bounty and be a tad more generous this time than simply showing off and going away to 'shower' somewhere else.









Meanwhile, the clock ticked away and my little girl was soon ready for school. I saw her off in her school bus and all the while the clouds dangled the water drops tantalizingly out of reach and the winds never let up. The water was in the wind alright; I could feel its coolness - it just wasn't falling from the sky. It was as if this time too the promised rains would choose to elude me. So, I went back up to the flat and tried to concentrate on my chores. I had to water the plants, and so I stepped out onto the balcony with my little blue bucket full to the brim. Instantly, I became aware of the rather cold floor resulting from the lower-than-normal temperatures. I went about the job quickly, and as I stood there sprinkling a few drops on the jasmine leaves looking rather dusty, I felt a light spray on my neck as the wind came at me from behind. I turned my head and was greeted by a few droplets on my forehead and cheek. The wind seemed to usher them into the balcony as if tapping me on my neck to introduce us. I smiled in return, and held out my hand. A few drops fell on my outstretched palm and a few others blew in along with the wind onto my hair. The Heavens had indeed decided to rain down their blessings today! 


And lo and behold! Was that real thunder that I could make out rolling in the distance - not as loudly as I was accustomed to hearing in Delhi  - but rather faint as if in a dream?

The showers were not heavy but enough to bathe the atmosphere with a welcome serenity as the perennial dust seemed to have been completely washed away from the air, leaving it sweetly scented and with a lingering earthiness. The landscape too was transformed. Little puddles had formed on the streets outside - not because of the quantity of the water but rather from the complete lack of any rain water disposal facilities on the roads. And why should there be any such facility - when it seldom rained in the desert, or seldom enough to warrant its disposal? The sparse foliage there is - in the form of wild grass, small shrubs and acacia and ghaf trees - apart from the potted plants in the balconies of buildings, seemed to have gotten a welcome shot of bright green. The vehicles parked outdoors got a raw deal though as the winds and light rain combined with the already present dust had seemingly drawn geometric patterns across their tops.





























The drizzle lasted only for a couple of hours, but the sky remained overcast till late evening giving way to a cool and beautifully inviting evening. This had been my very first experience of the elusive rains here. I had heard about showers that sometimes were heavy enough to cause flash floods, but never really seen any sign of precipitation - until today. My spirit is calm - the rains have left a lingering sweetness not just in the surroundings but in my heart as well. What is it about the rains that fills the heart with so much emotion and why do we feel so overwhelmed at the sight of a few drops of water falling from the skies? I cannot explain it  - it is something to be felt, to be seen and experienced. But whatever it is, it does leave behind a benignity that calms the body and soul and makes one either hum a song or want to dance or write poetry. Rains are always a good thing, especially in the desert where they become a sight for sore eyes and parched souls. And whenever they come, they bring joy unbridled (forget the drainage!). And to top it all, today being the start of the weekend augurs well for the two days ahead. May the skies roll with thunder and pour down their magical benevolence more and more frequently here. Amen! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monsoon Rain and the Five Senses

Monu's World: Raka's Kite

Mia

Monu's World

Mayflower Memories

A Question of Identity

Circles of Prime Numbers

The Fog

Total Pageviews